Pasteli (Greek Honey Sesame Bars) takes only 15 minutes to make and seconds to devour. Enjoy with coffee or tea.
Check out our quick video on how to whip these up.
For more delicious Greek snacks, click here.
Pasteli (Greek Honey Sesame Bars)Course: Snacks, desserts, sweetsCuisine: Greek
200g Sesame Seeds
- Toast Sesame Seeds in a frying pan.
- Once toasted, remove from heat and pour seeds into a bowl.
- Pour honey into the pan and allow to bubble.
- Once it bubbles, add the sesame seeds back and stir.
- Prepare a baking dish with baking paper and pour the sesame seeds and honey mixture into the dish.
- With the back of a spoon evenly press the mixture down.
- Step 6 is much easier to do with your hands, but allow the mixture to cool down slightly before attempting.
- Allow the mixture to rest for 15 minutes before removing it from the dish and cutting into pieces.
- Pay close attention when toasting your sesame seeds as they can quickly go from white to black. Toss or stir with a wooden spoon consistently to get an even golden brown colour.
Commonly Asked Questions
Are sesame bars good for you?
There are many recipes on the internet that contain a lot of added sugars, however, this Pasteli (Greek Honey Sesame Bars) recipe doesn’t contain any artificial sugars. The sweetness comes from the honey with no additional sugars. It’s a healthy alternative to typical sesame snaps and other candy bars. BUT, like with everything, it’s always best in moderation.
Are sesame seeds a superfood?
Many experts consider sesame seeds a superfood because it boasts health-promoting properties. According to NDTV.com sesame seeds promote the following:
- Hair Growth
- Boosts Skin & Dental Health
- Boosts Digestion
- Good Source of Energy
- Stabilizes your blood pressure
- Boosts bone health.
You can read more about it here.
What are the benefits of honey?
Healthline considers the following the top 6 raw honey benefits:
- A good source of antioxidants
- Antibacterial and antifungal properties
- Heal wounds
- Phytonutrient powerhouse
- Help for digestive issues
- Soothe a sore throat.